Cannot decrypt the symmetric key...

Yesterday I got a Windows update of my .Net framework 2.0. After the update the system needed to be rebooted, so I did that. After that, my reportmanager in Internet Explorer returned with the following error:
The report server cannot decrypt the symmetric key used to access sensitive or encrypted data in a report server database. You must either restore a backup key or delete all encrypted content and then restart the service. Check the documentation for more information. (rsReportServerDisabled)
The Reporting Services service (RSS) uses an asymmetric key to decrypt a symmetric key. This symmetric key is used to communicate with its repository in SQL Server. The asymmetric key is tied to the account with which the RSS runs. Change the account and the key is invalidated. Apparently, the update did something to this account, although it was "LocalSystem" and still is "LocalSystem".

Fortunately, the problem is easily solved by issuing the following statement at the command prompt I found on Kate Gregory's blog posted by a guy named Derek:
rsactivate -r -c"C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Reporting Services\ReportServer\RSReportServer.config"
It re-creates the assymetric key for the service account and stores it again in the rsreportserver.config file.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very useful, thanks!
Saved me lots of time.
Gala.

Anonymous said...

Well I agree but I contemplate the collection should prepare more info then it has.

Anonymous said...

locksnlatches.blogspot.com; You saved my day again.